Carlos Batara – Immigration Lawyer header image

Moreno Valley Immigration Lawyer


When Your Family Needs Immigration Help . . .

Your family needs an advocate who will fight tooth and nail to help reach your immigration goals and dreams.

Whether it’s to immigrate your family members, win permanent residency, earn citizenship, defend against deportation, or overcome a judge’s denial of your application.

You need an immigration warrior.

You need an immigration lawyer who knows how to work with families from different cultures during their times of crisis.

You need an immigration lawyer who understands winning is often about interpreting the law in new ways.

Moreno Valley Immigrant Family Services

Serving Moreno Valley is part of our Riverside Immigration one-stop legal center for immigrants and their families living in Moreno Valley, all of Riverside County, and the entire Inland Empire.

Immigration Family Unity – Our Moreno Valley green card, citizenship, and family visas services include helping you earn permanent residence, obtain green card status, win citizenship, and successfully sponsor a loved one. living here, or in another country through a fiancé/fiancée visa.

In order to achieve your dream of becoming a legal permanent resident, you may be considering immigration through a relative, a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

Not all relatives can sponsor your application.

If your sponsor is a U.S. citizen, he or she might be eligible to sponsor you if you are

The sponsor’s parent
The sponsor’s spouse
The sponsor’s child, married or unmarried, over or under 21 years of age
The sponsor’s brother or sister

The options are more limited if your sponsor is a lawful permanent resident.  In this situation, he or she can sponsor you if you are:

The sponsor’s spouse
The sponsor’s child, over or under 21 years of age, but only if you are unmarried

An Important Note About Proposed Immigration Changes

Under different proposals being considered by Congress, the current family unity system will be drastically changed – and not in a pro-immigrant friendly way.

If passed, you may no longer be able to sponsor certain family members. This means you should not procrastinate if you are thinking about filing any immigrant relative petitions. You need to stay alert.  If any changes occur, you may need to react quickly before new rules take effect.

Moreno Valley Immigration Court Defense Services

Our immigration court deportation and removal defense services in Moreno Valley include representing you and your family at Immigration Court hearings and trials. There are several options your immigration lawyer may seek.

Cancellation of Removal is the most common form of relief against deportation and removal at immigration court hearings and trials.  If you win, you win a green card and the right to live and work legally in the United States.

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you can seek cancellation of removal if you were admitted as an LPR 5 years ago and you lived in the United States 7 years after being admitted.  You must not have any criminal convictions which disqualify you.

If you are living here without legal papers because you entered without permission or you stayed here after your temporary visa expired, there is a different type of cancellation of removal you might be able to use in your defense against deportation.

Under these rules, you must prove you have lived in the U.S. for the past 10 years and have good moral character.  You must also show you have a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent, or child under 21, and demonstrate your relative will suffer an exceptional and extremely unusual hardship.

Because immigration removal rules are complicated, representing yourself against deportation is difficult and not recommended.


Recently, we were contacted by an immigration client from Moreno Valley.  Because her inquiry was concerning a topic that we are often asked by clients, we share it here, along with our response.

My Mother Was Previously Deported.  Is There Any Way She Can Still Get A Green Card?

“I filed papers to immigrate my mother. I became a U.S. citizen about ten years ago. At the permanent residency interview, the green card application was denied. The USCIS officer said my mother was ordered deported four years ago when she lived in Escondido. But she began living with me about five years ago when her marriage to a U.S. citizen failed. We never knew about the hearing. We were shocked. What can we do?“

(Submitted by Yvonne Z., Moreno Valley, CA)

Click this link for the complete answer.

Immigration Appeals – As part of our Moreno Valley immigration appeals services, we can help you overcome negative immigration court and immigration agency decisions. Even if you have already lost your case, it may not be too late to fight back.

Like immigration court trials, immigration appeals are difficult and specialized.  Only 10% of immigrants win their appeals.

Our Moreno Valley immigration appeals services include:

  • Board of Immigration Appeals
  • AAO/AAU Appeals
  • Ninth Circuit Appeals
  • Federal Court Appeals

Moreno Valley Special Immigration Programs

There is a vast range of immigration programs which can be used to perhaps help you fight deportation and removal or to win your green card and permanent residence.

One program known by some immigrants is asylum.  Each year thousands of immigrants flee their countries and come to the U.S.  They seek protection against persecution in their home nation due to their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

In most cases, a request for asylum is accompanied by relief requests for Withholding of Deportation and Convention Against Torture.  These programs are similar to asylum, but there are significant differences.  As a result, it is in your best interests, if possible, to seek all three at once.  You might lose two of your requests, but still win your case based on the third form of immigration relief.

At our Moreno Valley immigration attorney office, we also provide assistance to Moreno Valley residents with the following programs:

  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
  • U Visas, T Visas For Trafficking Victims
  • Cuban Adjustment Act
  • Registery
  • Diversity Lottery

Last but not least, we are hopeful the DREAM Act will be passed in the near future to help immigrant children.

Work-Related Visas – On behalf of immigrants and their employers, our Moreno Valley immigration services include H-1B visas, H-2A visas, H-2B visas, H-3 visas, L-1 visas, and TN visas.

Ready To Tackle Your Immigration Worries?

For over 20 years, Moreno Valley Immigration Attorney Carlos Batara has helped immigrants win the right to live and work legally in the United States.

Our law office accepts hard, difficult, complicated cases, despite the long odds.

Perhaps we can help you.

If we can’t help you, we’ll let you know.  Right from the beginning.

But if we believe we can help you, we pledge to our best to help achieve you and your family’s immigration dreams.

A Word About Our Services

Our Moreno Valley immigration services are a division of our Riverside immigration law firm.

We serve Moreno Valley residents at three different Inland Empire locations.

Some of our clients, based on their work or school schedules, want to work with our Downtown Riverside or San Bernardino law offices. Others prefer to use our Hemet immigration office.

Wherever you choose, you can expect the same level of top quality legal help for you and your loved ones.

Ready to take a serious and honest look at the strengths and weaknesses of your immigration case? Let’s get started with a strategy and planning session . . .